Recipe: Avocado Pesto Zoodles
When the whole zucchini noodles trend emerged, I have to say I was a little skeptical. How on earth could a green vegetable taste as good as normal wheat based pasta? Well, I soon discovered that when mixed with the right ingredients and with a good way of cooking it, it can be equally, if not more delicious than regular pasta! Plus due to the high fibre content, it leaves you feeling really full and satisfied, without the bloat. Being gluten free just got a whole lot easier.
There are so many ways you can cook zucchini noodles, however, here is a simple and delicious dish that you can whip up in a couple of minutes.
Gluten Free Recipe Ingredients
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 4 Zucchini
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 2 cloves of garlic (avoid if low FODMAP)
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- Greek yoghurt (optional – for an extra creamy sauce. Use lactose-free if low FODMAP)
- A generous handful of fresh basil.
- Topping of your choice (prawns or chicken work well)
- Tsp Coconut oil
- Firstly, spiralize the zucchini with a spiralizer then set aside in a bowl.
- In a food processor/mixer/blender, add the avocado, lime juice, garlic, pine nuts and basil and blend until it’s nice and smooth and creamy in texture!
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over a low-medium heat then add the spiralized zucchinis – stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce and cook for a further few minutes until the sauce covers the zucchini completely.
- Finally, add the topping of your choice. I have chosen to top the dish with sautéed prawns, however, chicken, mushrooms or any kind of white fish would also work well.
- Add a sprinkle of chopped, fresh red chilli (if you fancy a bit of extra zing!) and some black pepper, serve and enjoy!