Recipe: Gluten Free Fruity Flapjacks
If you’re a keen baker but want to avoid the usual refined-sugar ladened options, then this gluten free recipe of fruity flapjacks is definitely worth a try! They are super quick and easy to prepare and, due to the use of ripe bananas, honey, dried fruits and apple, they taste super indulgent and deliciously sweet. Oats are packed with fibre keeping you fuller for longer, plus due to their cholesterol lowering properties, they are certainly worth featuring on your weekly menu. This yummy snack will undoubtedly satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping you energised. An ideal afternoon snack for when the sugar cravings strike!
Gluten Free Recipe Ingredients
- 50g coconut oil (plus a little extra for greasing)
- 1 cup of medjool dates (stones removed)
- 2 tablespoons of nut butter (peanut butter and almond work particularly well)
- 3 tablespoons of quality maple syrup
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 apple (grated)
- 250g rolled Oats
- 85g dried cranberries (or your favourite dried fruit)
- 100g raisins or sultanas
- 90g mixed seeds
- First, preheat the oven to 160C then with a small amount of coconut oil, grease a square tin lined with grease proof paper.
- Next, whizz up the dates in a food processor until they are reduced to tiny pieces. Then, in a pan, heat the coconut oil, nut butter, honey and dates until melted.
- Tip in the grated apple, mashed banana and 100ml of hot water and stir together until combined.
- Pour the oats, mixed seeds and dried fruit into a mixing bowl then pour the melted mixture of honey, banana etc on top. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into your greased tin and bake for around 50 minutes (or until golden). Cut into squares
- Leave aside until cool then cut into around 16-20 pieces (depending on how big you want them) and enjoy!
- These gluten free flapjacks store in an airtight container for about 3 days.
Click through for more on the health benefits of oats