When many hear gluten free and sugar free they think, “What am I going to eat?” The truth is there are a lot of dishes that you can enjoy and they are absolutely delicious. One dish that meets these requirements is a simple and oh so satisfying egg and tomato bake. This recipe is amazing. You have this perfectly cooked egg that is seasoned just right with diced tomatoes that add nice acidity as well as natural sweetness. Aside from tasting incredible it is so simple to make. The best part is it can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Here is what you need:
Ingredients (serves 2)
400g diced tomatoes
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
½ onion, diced
1 tablespoons olive oil
Optional extras to add to the tomatoes when cooking if you like:
Paprika or cayenne powder (to taste)
2 handfuls of baby spinach
160g ham, chopped
100g ready roasted red capsicum, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Heat a medium frying pan over medium high heat.
3. Add olive oil.
4. Add onions into the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
5. Add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more. Stir occasionally to prevent garlic from burning.
6. Pour the diced tomatoes into the frying pan.
7. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until any liquid has evaporated.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Divide the tomato sauce among 2 small oven safe bowls or ramekins.
10. Crack two eggs over each serving and season with a little more salt and pepper.
12. Add a little parmesan cheese on top if desired.
13. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are soft.
In the end you have an amazing gluten free, sugar free dish. When you dig in be sure to break the yolk. It will run over the entire dish and mix in with the tomato sauce, which is a great combination of flavours. Aside from that, the hints of garlic and onion compliment the bake well and the egg whites are incredibly fluffy. Also the crispy edging that develops during cook time is an added bonus.