Recipe: Apple & Kale Soup
On a cold day nothing can beat a warm bowl of soup. One of the best soups you will ever have is apple and kale soup. It is like a hug in a bowl. The warmth is so comforting and every component from the tartness of the apple to the vegetable taste of the kale work so well together. These main ingredients are then brought together by vegetable broth and a little bacon for that additional burst of flavour.
Before making this tasty soup you need vegetable broth. When you have some on hand, great! If you’d like to use bone broth for additional gut healing properties that’s also fine. If not, it is very easy to make. For vegetable broth you need:
Ingredients for the vegetable broth
- 10 cups water
- 10 black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 carrots, cut into pieces
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into pieces
- 2 medium onions
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 leek
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Once you have your ingredients:
1. Quarter the onion.
2. Clean the leek well and slice.
3. Pour water in a large pot and add in all the ingredients.
4. Bring a boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
6. Strain. Discard veggies.
7. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Now it is time to make the soup!
Ingredients for the Apple & Kale Soup
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup uncured bacon, sliced
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Wash kale.
2. Remove stem and chop.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil along with the sliced bacon.
4. Sauté until bacon just starts to develop colour.
5. Also, add kale, stir and cook until kale wilts.
6. Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth and reduce heat to medium low.
7. Cook for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
8. Puree this in a blender.
9. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
10. In the same skillet over medium add a drizzle of olive oil along with the onions and a sprinkle of salt.
11. Sauté onions for about 3 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
12. Add apple and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
13. Slowly stir in remaining vegetable broth.
14. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
15. Pour both purees into a large saucepan.
16. Finally, whisk and heat until warm. Add more vegetable broth if the soup is too thick.
Tip: Make double and freeze some for an easy lunch option.