Everyone loves cookies. They have a great texture, good flavour combinations and are delightfully sweet. When on a wheat free, sugar free, and dairy free diet you may think these sweet treats are out of the question but they are not. There are numerous cookie recipes that meet all of these dietary needs and taste spectacular. One in particular is banana nut cookies. They taste just like the beloved banana bread but in cookie form. Aside from being delicious they are so easy to make and require minimal ingredients. You most likely have them in your kitchen already. Here is what you need to make banana nut cookies.
2 ½ cups rolled oats (wheat free if necessary)
2 cups sliced banana
¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped (or any nut of choice)
¼ cup walnut oil (or use macadamia nut oil)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Cooking spray or oil to brush on the baking sheet
Once you have all of your ingredients you can make your dough and prepare for baking.
3. In a bowl combine rolled oats, cinnamon and sprinkle with some salt.
4. Mix everything together and make sure that the cinnamon coats the oats well.
5. Add walnut oil and toss everything together.
6. Place sliced bananas into a blender to liquefy.
7. Pour bananas into the rolled oats and mix until everything is combined well.
8. Fold in nuts.
9. Use a spoon to scoop out small mounds of dough. This recipe makes about 15 cookies.
10. Place onto a cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
11. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Overall this is a super easy wheat, sugar and dairy free dessert or snack. The cookies are really delicious and have a nice subtle sweetness. The flavour of the cinnamon really comes through and compliments the oats and banana very well. In addition to that, the use of the walnut oil adds that richness that cookies should have. As an added bonus these banana nut cookies are a treat that you do not have to feel guilty about. There is fibre from the oats and banana and walnuts that provide healthy fat, vitamins and minerals. All in all these cookies are simply fantastic. Perfect for the kids morning tea or that sweet treat you may be craving in the afternoon but without such a negative impact on blood sugar. You could even have them as a breakfast on the run.