Recipe: Easy low FODMAP Brown Rice Stir Fry
Try this easy low FODMAP stir-fry recipe. Use staples from your kitchen cupboards and freezer to make this simple, healthy recipe. Serve with some steamed Asian greens or a green salad in the summer. This stir-fry recipe will help stop sugar cravings and boost energy. You can really eat it for any meal of the day. It stores well in the fridge to be reheated for a quick last minute meal.
Easy Brown Rice Low FODMAP Stir-Fry Recipe
Ingredients – Serves four
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
4 Tbsp tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
1-2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced crosswise
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
4 tsp minced fresh ginger or 1tsp powdered
3 garlic cloves, minced (avoid is following a low FODMAP diet)
1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice, cooked and cooled
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced or grated
2/3 cup chopped spring onions (green parts only for low FODMAP)
- Stir walnuts in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted (3 minutes). Drizzle 2 Tbsp tamari over walnuts: stir until tamari coats walnuts (45 seconds). Cool. These can be made ahead and stored at room temperature in airtight container for 3 days.
- Combine chicken and 2 Tbsp tamari in a medium bowl. Toss to coat and let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken and stir-fry 2 minutes and each side. Add ginger and garlic (if using) and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add cooked rice, red capsicum, carrot and sesame oil: reduce heat to medium and stir-fry until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice mixture among plates.
- Sprinkle with spring onions and walnuts.
This recipe can easily be made low FODMAP by swapping out the garlic for garlic infused olive oil, using only the greens of the spring onions. Any low FODMAP veggies can be used eg: 1/2 corn cob, 1 cup of broccoli, green beans etc. For more on the low FODMAP diet.