In order to recover from sugar addiction, you must first be aware of its symptoms and come to term that you are a sugar addict. Reading this article is the first step, as you might already notice something is wrong somewhere in your eating behaviour.
Here are some signs of sugar addiction:
– You feel tired and sluggish after a meal.
– You have problems sleeping well at night.
– You have the urge to binge on sugary foods.
– You constantly crave something sweet.
– You have excess fat deposits on your body, especially around your stomach and waist.
– You have elevated cholesterol levels.
– You are pre-diabetic or diabetic.
– You hide your food to secretly binge.
If you have said yes to two or more of the above, you are likely a sugar addict. The more ‘yes’ you answered, the more of a health concern it is. You do not need to worry though, as there are ways for you to conquer sugar addiction.
Here are some ideas on how to tackle your sugar cravings:
– Learn about healthy eating habits.
– Study the difference between low glycaemic carbs and high glycaemic carbs.
– Understand proper meal timing and the importance of regular protein intake.
– Avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible. Artificial sweeteners are not only toxic to the body but contribute to sugar addiction by increasing cravings.
– Eat healthy food in appropriate portions every 3 to 4 hours to keep your body energy levels at peak and avoid sugar craving.
– Use a food diary and write down what you eat so you can review your eating habits and make adjustments (or have a nutritionist review and recommend changes). See my food diary template to start recording now.
– Drink plenty of filtered water everyday. Consume at least 8 glasses of water per day. Always start the day with 1-2 glasses of water.
– Go on a sugar free diet, a sugar detox diet or follow a detox program.
The first step to recovery is to admit that you have a sugar addiction. Once you have come to terms with that, take proper steps by educating yourself and taking action to stop the addiction once and for all.
To break your sugar habit and get into fat burning mode try my Online Sugar Detox Program and say goodbye to your cravings.